Contested Guardianship & Conservatorships Taylor & Lihn exists to serve our Arizona community by educating, empowering, and advocating for individuals and their loved ones who want to create a meaningful life and legacy.

Contested Guardianships & Conservatorships

Our Skilled Phoenix Attorneys Can Help

When a person is no longer capable of making decisions for himself/herself, a guardian or conservator may be appointed by the court to step in and take over. A guardian makes decisions for an incapacitated adult or a minor regarding his or her health and overall welfare. A conservator handles the finances and assets of an incapacitated adult or a minor. A single person may act as both guardian and conservator, or these may be different people.

What if you object to the appointment of a guardian or conservator? You can contest a guardianship or conservatorship if the adult is actually able of making decisions for himself/herself, or if the person to be appointed as guardian or conservator is unfit for this role.

At Taylor & Lihn, PLLC, we help clients across the Phoenix area with contested conservatorships and guardianships. Our attorneys can help you determine whether you have a case and can take you through the necessary steps while protecting your interests and rights.

To find out more about how we can help you, call (602) 900-9860.

When Can a Guardianship or Conservatorship Be Contested?

You may be able to object to a guardianship or conservatorship before or after the guardian or conservator is appointed by the court. Before the appointment, you have the opportunity to present your case at a hearing held by the court. After the appointment, challenging a guardianship or conservatorship is more complicated. You’ll have to file a complaint with the court to have the guardianship or conservatorship order set aside. In either case, you’ll have to prove why the guardianship or conservatorship should not exist.

The following may be reasons to have a guardianship or conservatorship denied or set aside:

  • The order was obtained as a result of fraud, misrepresentation, misconduct, or neglect.
  • The person to be named guardian or conservator is unfit or not ideal for the role.
  • The allegedly incapacitated adult is actually capable of making decisions for himself/herself.

In contesting a guardianship or conservatorship, you must present evidence to support your case and may suggest a different guardian or conservator.

Do I Need a Lawyer for a Contested Guardianship or Conservatorship?

If you want your case to be prepared and presented in a clear and convincing manner, your best bet is to work with an experienced attorney. A legal professional who has dealt with contested guardianships and conservatorships in the Phoenix area will know how to proceed and can prepare you for your hearing, file all the paperwork on your behalf, and properly present your case. Like you would hire a mechanic to work on your car or a doctor to treat a medical condition, your legal matter is best handled by an attorney.

Call (602) 900-9860 or contact us online to get immediate, personalized guidance.

  • Best of Our Valley 2020
  • AZ Business Leaders
  • Lead Counsel
  • AVVO
  • AV  Rated Preeminent
  • Super Lawyers Rising Stars
  • Elder Counsel Member
  • Arizona's Finest Lawyers

Client-Focused & Caring

Hear from Former Clients
  • “Although I am not the client, I facilitated the meeting between Taylor & Lihn and my mother. Emily Taylor and the entire team at this firm were exceptionally welcoming, professional, kind, and ...”

    - Chuck S.
  • “Yes, I must admit that as I was entering the Taylor & Lihn Law office with my husband and two adult daughters, I was experiencing a fair amount of anxiety for our first visit with Attorney Caleb Lihn. ...”

    - June L.
  • “Emily Taylor and her assistant Jessica McElderry did an outstanding job with my mother's elder planning. Was very impressed with their expertise in updating POA's, creating a trust and the ALTCS ...”

    - Dale N.
  • “My interaction with Mr. Caleb Lihn gave me the strong impression that he cares very much about the Customer. He and his Staff were polite, punctual, and knowledgeable. Once Mr. Lihn understood our ...”

    - Josh B.
  • “We received excellent advice & service for our estate planning needs from Emily Taylor & her staff. I would highly recommend their services with an emphasis in special needs expertise.”

    - Adrienne H.

What Sets Us Apart

  • Focus on Your Best Interests
  • Results-Driven Legal Strategies
  • Personalized Representation for All Clients
  • Direct Communication With Your Attorney
  • Excellent Client-Focused Relationships
  • 30+ Years of Experience

Don't Wait.
Plan With Us Today

Schedule a Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.